Energy Audit Graham Packaging – Case Study
“Energy efficiency is at the heart of the news, and is an integral part of Helexia's DNA, approaching this theme with passion and dynamism.”Graham Packaging
ABOUT THE GRAHAM PACKAGING ENERGY AUDIT PROJECT
Graham Packaging renforce son engagement environnemental avec l'audit énergétique
With 50 years of experience, Graham Packaging is now a world leader in the production of blown plastic packaging solutions through injection and extrusion.
Present in 16 countries through 100 production sites and 7,000 employees, Graham Packing is a major player recognized in the packaging industry for the quality of its products, their robustness, adaptability and respect for the environment. Indeed, the group’s objective is to reduce its carbon impact as much as possible by 2025. This objective is reflected in the implementation of several actions, including in particular :
- The reduction of the group’s energy consumption by 5% in 2020,
- An overall 25% reduction in energy consumption by 2028,
- The increase in the use of recycled plastic for the manufacture of packaging, including the use of plastic waste recovered from our oceans,
- Design products that are 100% recyclable by 2025.
To achieve the group’s objective, Graham Packaging called on Helexia for an energy audit of its French production site in Assevent (59).
The Graham Packaging energy audit, the scenarios detected
Following the energy audit, Helexia proposed two energy efficiency action plans.
These scenarios are prioritized according to the rate of return on investment of the actions to be implemented.
- A Quickwins scenario with an IRR of less than 4 months
- A scenario with an average IRR of 6 months
Helexia's industrial energy audit process - Graham Packaging
1. Graham Packaging Energy Audit, analysis of consumption
August 2019 : Recovery of consumption data from the audited site by receiving the site’s energy bills and metering system in place.
2. Technical visits for the Graham Packaging energy audit
July 2020: Measurement campaigns at the Assevent production site. On-site measurements are used to draw up a precise inventory of the energy situation of the production site and also to determine the distribution of energy consumption items.
3. Realization of the Energy Balance Sheet
September: Modelling of consumption and the balance sheet, via technical measurements and analysis of energy bills.
4. Restitution and Action Plan
October 2020 – Restitution of the Graham Packaging energy audit, with the highlighting of the sources of savings detected, costing and implementation planning. The report allows Helexia to present to Graham Packaging the action plan and the possibilities of support on the 2 identified action scenarios.